Thursday, September 20, 2012

Appreciative Participant

(article from the EMC newspaper)

Underlining the value of Terry Fox's message Appreciative participant. Cancer patient Danielle Thuot thanks those who gathered for Renfrew’s 2012 Terry Fox Run. 


By Kate Glynn
       
September 20, 2012
 
Terry Fox’s message of hope was brought home last weekend as Danielle Thuot took the stage at the 31st annual Terry Fox Run.
 
Any doubt that money raised from the annual event helps real people, was put to rest as Thuot took the mic Sunday, prior to the start of the run.
 
“In 1977 Terry Fox was diagnosed with cancer. That is the same year I was born,” she told the 150 volunteers and participants gathered at Renfrew’s Ma-Te-Way Activity Centre.
 
“That was thirty-five years ago. It seems like such a long time ago, we have been hearing about him forever. The Terry Fox Foundation has raised $600,000,000 and his name is a household word. He is a legend.
 
“But to a young woman with two small children diagnosed with breast cancer, 35 years just doesn’t seem like that many,” she said.
 
Thuot was diagnosed with Lobular Carcinoma this spring, but not before repeated visits to the doctor over an eight month period.
 
“They said it was just a blocked duct. It couldn’t be cancer, I was too young. They said I had no family history.”
 
The decision to have a double mastectomy this past May was an easy one Thuot told the crowd.
 
“I don’t want to have to tell my family I have cancer ever again,” said the Stittsville resident who works for Renfrew-based Deslaurier Custom Cabinets.
 
Thuot has just finished her first week of radiation and will go every day for the next four weeks. She will take a hormone suppressant for the next five years and will most likely need a hysterectomy in the next few months.
 
“I want to tell you how thankful I am that I have all of these things available to me,” she told the crowd.
 
“Once upon a time, when a woman was diagnosed with breast cancer, the only treatment available to her was a radical mastectomy. This meant not only removing the breast, but all the muscle under the breast and up into the arm, leaving a woman deformed and disabled and unable to use their arms for everyday activity.
 
“I thank you, because I can play with my kids; I can lift them up.
 
“Terry Fox started the Marathon of Hope and you guys are keeping it going. I really, really thank you and my family really thanks you,” she said.
 
Thuot concluded by wishing participants a fantastic run, “and next year I will be running alongside of you.”
 
The annual run, organized by sisters Tanya Campbell and Sheena Pilgrim, raised $22,800 and an additional $415 with the introduction of a silent auction this year.
 
The two women were pleased with the turnout that saw 125 participants, an additional 25 volunteers and support from the business community.

“We are so humbled and grateful for the dedication that everyone brings to the Terry Fox Run. Renfrew has raised a remarkable $335,000 since 1982,” Campbell said.

No comments:

Post a Comment