Sunday, September 16, 2012

Inspiration

It's a beautiful fall day. The sun is bright and warms the cool, fall air. In communities across Canada Terry Fox's life is being celebrated. He was a humanitarian and cancer activist. This is how Dani wants to be described one day as well. Today she had her first opportunity to share her story publicly as Renfrew held its Terry Fox Run. The company my bestie works for was founded in the small town just west of Ottawa, where there are no strangers. Deslaurier Custom Cabinets was a sponsor of the event and as a result, Dani was asked to be the guest speaker.

We meet at the venue. Dani's rocking her shades and bald head. We hug as we always do when we greet each other. "I probably should have worn sunscreen" she says laughing and rubbing her head.


breast cancer blog; best friends support; terry fox; renfrew
 

It's about a nanosecond before Dani's chatting with people she knows. I spot someone I haven't seen in a few years. Turns out Katie is doing some freelance journalist work and would love to meet Dani. As the two chat, the expression in Katie's face says it all: disbelief.

After the interview wraps up we head outside to kick off the run. Dani takes her place at the mic. I stand off the side. Listening. Reliving the last few months. Without realizing it, tears are streaming down my face. I look around and that is the case with almost everyone there.

She doesn't speak from a script. It was all from the heart. Powerful. Inspiring. It felt so raw again.

breast cancer blog; best friends support; terry fox; renfrew
 
breast cancer blog; best friends support; terry fox; renfrew
 
The race starts and we decide to walk for a bit. I whip out my Walkers4Knockers t-shirt from Relay for Life. We laugh. "Of course you brought it," Dani says.

Not knowing how long or for how far she can walk, we set-off. She's in the middle of radiation and it's only been a few weeks since her last chemo treatment. I am proud of her for even wanting to walk. Even more proud to be by her side. There are words of encouragement from strangers. Unsure smiles from those who don't know what to say. A kilometer or so in, it's time to turn around. But it's more than I could have asked for.

breast cancer blog; best friends support; terry fox; renfrew

After the walk there's BBQ and chance to visit with people some more. I can see Dani fading. It's been a long day - both physically and emotionally. I interrupt with a "how ya doing lady?" and she look at me with a thankful expression. Sometimes ya just know.

I am beyond proud of Danielle. To speak in front of any crowd can be nerve wracking. To tell your personal story is courageous.

At the same time I am also surprised that none of our other friends or family made it. Selfishly though, no one else has this memory to cherish.

The EMC newspaper was there to capture the event and Dani's story. Read the article, Appreciative Participant, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment