Saturday, January 19, 2013

Silver Lining

Cancer free. Yes she is. She kicked. Holy sh*t, she kicked it!!! I finally believe it. It has sunk in. While a journey still lies ahead, it will be nothing like what we've been through. My bestie is cancer free.

I've always believed that everything happens for a reason. And today I had one of those "a-ha" moments. As I've mentioned before, hubs and I have had 3 miscarriages. The third one late September 2011. Due date June 3. While I wasn't far along, it was the most emotionally draining. We were married in March of the same year and add to the 1.9 average children per family statistic.

Someone saw a different path for me though. While we didn't know it at the time - and wouldn't for a number of months - Dani already had cancer. I'm not religious but I do believe that there is some sort of higher being. My bestie: Catholic.

Whoever that higher being is, or maybe it was good God on Dani's side, they knew what was ahead of us. Knew that the road ahead was not going to be an easy one. Knew that dedicated care and support would be required. Knew that my bestie and her fam couldn't do it on their own.

Had I been in my last trimester when Dani was diagnosed or had a newborn around the time of her double mastectomy, I wouldn't have been able to do 95% of the things I did. I wouldn't have been there for her the way I would want to. The only way I know is all or nothing.

Everything happens for a reason. Every cloud has a silver lining. This is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment