Friday, January 3, 2014

Blogging: My Therapy

Last week one of my fave bloggers, Sharon Devillis, wrote a post that made me go hmmmm: If A Blog Falls In The Forest. Yup. Same thought provoking question as "if a tree falls in the forest and there's no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

She speaks to the busyness of being a rock-star mom (from what I hear put a glass of wine in her hand and watch out! - she can do a mean robot), the hecticness of the holidays, and her cray cray schedule with two young active sons and a big kid at home.

And then this: "But I’ve been putting off writing anything because I’m not sure I see the point to it anymore."

Huh. As I've always enjoyed reading her stories (she's got the same fucken potty mouth as I have) never did I imagine she would just quit. Side note: my words, not hers.

It got me thinking though. Everyone writes or blogs for different reasons. Some do it to make a living (perks seem pretty decent). Some do it to fulfill that burning desire to become famous and making every single aspect of their seemingly repetitive lives public - including the countless selfies in the exact same pose they take (trust me, it ain't gettin' ya anywhere). Some do it as a place to share fun, neat ideas. 

But this is why I write. I write because it is cathartic. I write because it has become a form of therapy (and it's a helluva lot cheaper!). It's a safe place for me to get the thoughts that are swimming around in my head out. By writing them down, Hammie sometimes gets off his wheel and sleeps at night.

It doesn't matter to me who reads the posts. If someone does and they relate and it helps them, great. If not, it doesn't matter because it has helped me.

So to my little speed-skating-wine-drinking mama, you do what you need to do. If you're not getting what you need out of blogging, then it's time. If a blog falls in the forest, does anyone hear? Absolutely.

Stay true to yourself.

xo

To read "If A Blog Falls in The Forest" by Speed Skating Mom click here.

Why do I love Sharon so much? Because she's real. And drinks wine. People like her are fewer and fewer these days. And drinks wine. She goes out of her comfort zone, sets goals and publically admits failure. And drinks wine. She is a strong, determined, courageous woman. And drinks wine. Hell, would you strap ginsu knives to your feet for the first time at 19+22?

Did I mention she drinks wine? A woman after my own heart.

She also blogs for the YummyMummyClub so you can check her out there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment