Thursday, May 1, 2014

Going once, going twice, sold!

My fingers trembled. Palms sweaty. A floor gymnast practiced her tumble routine in my stomach. My arms as heavy as 150 year old tree trunks. I raised card 140 in the air.

The woman on stage pointed at me. Twenty. She then pointed at someone else. Thirty. Back to me. Forty. Someone else came in at fifty. It was on.

I could barely understand the auctioneer she was talking so fast but when she looked at me I knew it was my turn. I stalled. Someone else went in at sixty. I knew I had to get it together. Focus.

Seventy. The woman in the front row with a multi-coloured, thick-striped turtleneck went in at eighty. Back to me for ninety.

My rival was apathetic. I couldn't read her. She sat with her feet crossed at her ankles. Hands neatly folded across her lap, only moving to raise her bidder card. She did not waver.

Me on the other hand? I squirmed in my seat like a 3 year old at the dinner table. A bobble-head watching a Ping-Pong match. Auctioneer. Opponent. Auctioneer. Me.

One-hundred. Wha? Where did this person come from? My rival raised her card at one-ten. Crap. Crap. Crap. My brain wasn't keeping up. I was under pressure. "One ten. I have one ten. One twenty. Who has one twenty?" Her eyes holding mine.

Card 140 was half way in the air. Yes, only half. I was sweating bullets and had the pit stains to prove it. "One twenty!" Thoughts sprinting through my head. Is this a deal? Is it really worth it? I wanted white or grey but this is blue?

"One thirty. I've got one-thirty!" Little Miss Show No Emotion was in at one-hundred thirty dollars. My eyes were wide. I had no idea what to do. Gah! How high was this lady going to go?

"Go for it Sar. It's worth it." My auction-savvy cousin whispered in my ear. I nodded. Cause that's what you do when you're a cool auction chick <huffs on finger nails and buffs them on shoulder nonchalantly>. You nod your bid.

"One-forty-I've-got-one-forty-do-I-have-one-fifty?" She was now glaring at my opponent in the front row. She shook her head. Out.

Eeeek. I was sitting on my hands at this point trying to contain myself. The auctioneer was looking around the room. "I've-got-one-forty-one-forty-do-I-have-one-fifty? One-fifty-anywhere? One-fifty-once? One-fifty-twice? Sold for one-hundred-forty-dollars."

For the last time this round I raised 140 in the air and they noted my bidder number. Coincidence that my winning bid was the same number as my bidder card? I think not. Lot 258 was mine.
 
maclean auctions; ottawa
I was on a treasure hunt and found gold!
Hubs had to be called in to bring my new chaise home. It found its permanent spot in our bedroom making the perfect reading and writing corner. With some fun new pillows and a throw from HomeSense, I am one step closer to finishing off our redecorated bedroom.

This was the scene at MacLean Auctions on Sunday. It was exhilarating and nerve-wrecking all at the same time. Every two weeks or so they host estate auctions. There were over 500 lots at this week's auction. It was fun & exciting whether you were bidding or not. I highly recommend grabbing a couple of girlfriends and checking the next one out. Coffee is on me if you go home empty handed.







Here are a few little tidbits about MacLean Auctions to make your experience awesome:
  1. They post many items online leading up to the auction. Closer to the auction date they try to add lot numbers. Auctioneers go through approximately 100 items per hour. Bring $3 for a lot list.
  2. Snacks & drinks are available on-site. A chip-truck arrives outside around lunch.
  3. If you're ready to leave and have won an item, go to the ladies at the front. After you pay them they'll give you two sheets. Take these to the back beside the auction room to claim your goodies.
  4. If you buy so many things you can't get them all home the day of the auction you can arrange to either have a home delivery or pick-up within a couple of days.
  5. Washrooms are upstairs.
Happy bidding :)

No comments:

Post a Comment